Monday, June 2, 2014

Some Words about Habits

Astounding fact:  “more than 40% of the actions people perform every day are not decisions but habits.”

That is a direct quote from The Power of Habit.

I had to mull that one over a bit and soon came to that same conclusion.  When I write on my computer, many of the words are now habits and I spit them out in a blur so to speak.  That is because I’ve formed the habit of writing certain words thousands of times over the past bunch of years.

Another nugget:  “Habits can be changed if we know how they work.”

Ah, understanding how they work is the key.  There are triggers with any habit, and when we analyze those triggers, we begin to understand the mechanics of this thing called habits.

This one stopped me in my tracks. 

“Habits never really disappear.”

All you do is create new tracks for your muscles and tissues to flow down and over time you create new habits.  The old one is still there lurking, and can be pulled back into play.  Do you really want to resurrect that old habit?  Consider that one carefully.

And finally:

“You brain can’t tell the difference between bad and good habits …”

Charles Duhigg is the author of this fine book.  Get your copy soon.




P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment