Sunday, September 2, 2018

It's About What They Could Become


It’s About What They Could Become

Let’s talk a bit about human potential.  Had you seen me when I was ten, you wouldn’t have been very impressed.  Nor at 15, 18, or 25.  Oh, I had a few successes by then, but my real becoming didn’t happen, in my opinion till much later.

Meet Larry.  He was in my youth group back in the 70’s.  As a young teen, Larry was a nice kid and would do anything for you in the world, if he could, but to think he would come to earn a doctorate and pastor a few large churches?  No way.  Not Larry.  He didn’t fit the mold for that kind of success and good stuff to be happening to him. 

Somewhere along the line, Larry was paying attention.  He went to college, the same one I attended, graduated and went back to his home state and pastored a small-town church.  That lead to larger churches, and ultimately to seminary, and with each success, each bit of learning, Larry grew.  He BECAME!

I’ve got to tell you this personal thing.  Once Larry wrote me a note and said this: “Of all the good influences in my life, you were the first.”

Oh my.  That is encouragement to this encourager.

This quote is in my files and it prompted this idea tonight.  I’m not sure who originally said it. 

“It’s not what they are now.
It’s what they could be.
It’s all about human potential.”

You see, you and I are in the human potential business.  Our job is to grow people up into the man or woman they could become.  We cast a vision of what their potentiality is when in full bloom.  We believe in them.  We encourage them.  We coach and empower others so they can grow wings and develop sureness of foot.

And when they take off … wow!  What a moment.

That’s about as good as it gets for those of us who like to be people builders.


Something to think on,
in less than 60 seconds.


P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement
Inspiration

No comments:

Post a Comment