Friday, January 3, 2014

X - eXtra

(Our premise is this:  If plan A fails you still have twenty-five other options.)

In our search for the keys to success in our endeavors, sometimes we find that it is the extra touches we give in the way of attention to customer service that make a huge difference.  Allow me to elaborate.

Olive Garden restaurants serve an Andes mint at the end of every meal with the check.  Andes mints happen to be my favorite of all mints.  These mints speak of an extra touch.  It is not the usual peppermint in a rolled wrapper – they taste better, are more refreshing and more desirable to me as a diner.

During my traveling days, I remember the hotels that went out of their way to make my stay a notch above the ordinary.  One in particular is in Milwaukee – the Pfister Hotel.  They made a note of my special requests so that on my next visit they could wow me with excellent service.  I’ve never forgotten.

Anyone can be ordinary and offer ordinary service and products.  When we take time to wow someone they notice and reward us with their trust, their credit card and often come back as a repeat customer. 

There is great value in the extra touch, but there is no price tag on it.  When we add the wow, we say in effect, “I cherish your trust.  I value your interest.  I am going to serve you in an ‘out of the box’ kind of way and entice you to come back.”

The extra usually doesn't cost that much more, but the lasting impression it leaves lingers long after the initial experience.  

The obvious question – what extra can be added to your product or service?

Those are the bells and whistles one might consider adding as an after-thought, but actually becomes top-of-mind

Finding ways to add the “wow” is one mark of an organization on the search for the X in “extra”.

P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment