Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Shame 11 - Surviving Trauma

We continue our 12-part series on shame, based on Brene′ Brown’s book, Daring Greatly. 


Publication days:  Monday – Wednesday - Friday

Each week we are introducing each blog with this quote from Brene′.

“People often want to believe that shame is reserved for people who have survived an unspeakable trauma, but this is not true.  Shame is something we all experience.  And while it feels as if shame hides in our darkest corners, it actually tends to lurk in all of the familiar places. 

Today’s Topic …

Surviving Trauma

Trauma comes in all kinds of packages. 
Death of a significant other
Divorce
Loss of job
Bankruptcy
Life-threatening illness
Birth of a child with defects
Devastating weather system that destroyed homes and dreams
Loss of income

… and more …

In most cases one feels not only the loss of something or someone, but also that we are somehow diminished, we are less of a person because of this trauma, and therefore we open the door to shame. 

The song goes like this:
-“I must be a bad person for something like this to happen to me.”
-“If only I had …”
-“I wish I would have said no.”
-“We should have … years ago.”

We cast a serious dose of shame onto ourselves.

Once the trauma hits, there is little one can do in the early days but ride it out until one can get his/her feet back on more solid ground and re-achieve some semblance of level ground emotionally.

Ah – level ground.  What a great place to find in the middle of a trauma.  The word “trauma” itself depicts upheaval, unsettling, disruption and a great sense of loss.  The thing we crave most is stability. 

Stability. 

From my own experiences with divorce and bankruptcy I know firsthand that my greatest need during those times was a tremendous sense of level ground.  Where could I find stability? 

I detested the stigma of ‘divorce’.  I went around for days repeating to myself “This wasn’t supposed to happen to me.”  Shame kicked in and I felt I had a big wart in the middle of my forehead and everyone was starring at it.

And a few years later, when bankruptcy came along, it started again with the upheaval and the intense feeling of shame.

What is the way out from under the shame that tags along with most traumas?  

Brene’ offers some tremendous insights in her book.  One thing she says is this:  “Don’t over-share the details of your trauma.”

  Few individuals fully understand what we have just experienced, and the ones who don’t understand wince and want to avoid us for fear of being dragged back into the conversation and the drama of our trauma.

You will need to talk about your trauma, and it is wise to find someone who has had a similar experience, however, above all, the greatest resource is always, always your professional therapist. 

Traumas can be survived.  The shame will diminish and evaporate.  It just takes time and wise guidance from a trusted source.


P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment