Friday, March 1, 2013

Reach Everyone?



Just because we create something, do we really believe we will reach every person in the world, or in our town, or in our county?

Probably not. 

Seth Godin has helped me immensely with this thought.  It’s okay to be a niche person and have a niche product.  I have some family members who don’t read every single brilliant word that I write. 

I saw a commercial on TV last night for a jazzed up high-performance auto.  The monthly payment on it was $999.  That is definitely not in everyone’s reach.  This particular manufacturer has identified their market and they are in pursuit of only those individuals.

You can’t reach everyone.

But you can reach those compatible individuals who do like what you produce, write, sing, and say.  THAT is where your success lies.  THAT is the market for you.  You’ll never reach me if you’re trying to sell kilts.  I’m just not a kilt kind of guy.  Now, produce a really nice starch-able blue button-down collar shirt and you’ve got my attention.

“Define your mission and stick to it!”
Herman Wouk in Winds of War

Love that.


P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time

No comments:

Post a Comment