Monday, March 19, 2018

When a Legend Is No More


When a Legend Is No More

I bear the marks, the impressions of a man who was a major influence in my life for nearly fifty years.  His name was Ronn Huff. 
He was a giant in the music world.  His choral pieces were exquisite and his orchestrations were fresh and educational and inspiring and … the best of the best.

He died two days ago, yet his influence still lives.  He impacted me.  His music impacted me.  Any time I heard of a new release from Ronn Huff, I immediately bought it, and savored it, listened with open ears and mind, and devoured his unique creativity.

Now, many of you have no idea who Ronn was, so I’ll stop eulogizing him and focus on my main point.

Legends are made one step at a time, one brick at a time, one accomplishment, one relational interaction at a time.  Not only was Ronn masterful as a musician, he was an expert in human relationships.  I had occasion to call him a few times just to say ‘hi’ and check in.  Every time, Ronn took the time to chat, casually, and asked how I was and what I was up to.

I remember getting a note back from him once.  I had launched a web site that I no longer maintain called N-Courage.  I created a letterhead on computer and sent him a small note of appreciation and thanks for his impact on my life.  He wrote back, said some nice things and then ended with, “by the way, N-Courage works.”

I’ve never forgotten that.  He was a giant as a musician, and he had time for the personal touch as well.

What a legend to leave behind. 

Makes me think about my legend.  What am I leaving as I pass through this time and space?  What essence will you remember about me? 

I received a sweet Instagram Message this morning.  Linda and her family were great friends back when I lived in Albuquerque.

Here’s what she wrote.

“You kept me sane and made me feel like I was actually worth something.  You didn’t even know you were holding my head above water then and I will love you forever because of it.” 

I share that, not to gloat, but to honestly say, I had no idea I was having that impact.  I thought we were just good friends and she sang solos and was in my choir, and we had lots of meals together as couples go.”


See how this legacy thing works?  We’re making an impact even when we don’t  know we’re making an impact.  I think that is the best way to leave a legacy.

Honestly, if I could write my own legacy, it would go something like this:
“He gave me hope, encouragement
and inspiration when I
needed it the most.”

I wish you success as you build and write your legacy!


P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement
Inspiration

No comments:

Post a Comment