Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Ninety-nine Cents and a Smile


Ninety-Nine Cents and a Smile


It was a Mr. Goodbar.  It cost me 99 cents, and it brought a smile to his face.  That was my repayment.


My friend, George, the recipient, used to come into the place where I work.  He was my age, a quiet-spoken man, who moved slowly and shyly through life.  I’m not sure of his education level.  All I know is he worked at a minimum wage job before his illness. 

His health deteriorated.  He needed help in a lot of ways, and his steps crossed my steps.  So, I helped in a few ways.

The first thing I did was help George get signed up for his Social Security benefit check.  He didn’t seem to be aware that this was his to claim.  What timing, for his job played out and his last paycheck coincided with his first benefit check. 

And then the health issues came.  I’m not sure all that was wrong, but enough that he had to be put in a long-term-care facility that would accept the amount of money his benefits allowed. 

His niece told me about this and said, “George would love to see you sometime.”  And so, I went.

We had a short visit, I found out more about his condition and we set about drawing up a Power of Attorney naming the niece with the power. 

That’s when the Mr. Goodbar came up. 

On my next visit, we executed the documents, and I gave George his Mr. Goodbar.  His smile said it all.  He was a man of few words, and fewer expressions, but his smile thanked me. 

He didn’t put me in his will, or give me a tip plus gas mileage.  He thanked me.  That was enough.

I do what I do sometimes simply because a fellow human being needs a helping hand.  I can’t heal him, I can’t pay his bills, I can’t give him a haircut or shave him, but on that day, I could give him a delicious candy bar that he enjoyed as if it were a prime steak.



P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration


No comments:

Post a Comment