Tuesday, October 4, 2016

"Can-Do" Thinking


 If the video link above 
does not work
use this one


I want to talk a bit about “CAN DO” thinking.  CAN DO thinking is a mindset of what can be done. 

First … a thought



And look at what “CAN DO” thinking has brought to pass …

Computers and smart phones
The electric light bulb
Dawning of the age of wireless technology
Medical healing miracles
Space flight beyond our imaginations

I vividly remember a poignant moment from the movie Apollo 13.  Flight Director Gene Kranz assembled the engineers and support team into a room.  They were puzzling out how to bring home a severely crippled space craft and three astronauts. 

His words were epic: “Failure is not an option.”


Wow! 

THAT is “CAN DO” thinking. 

He was saying – we’ve never had to do this before, and now we must.  How can we pull this off? 

It wasn’t a matter of “can we pull this off” but “How?”.

I have a friend named Lou.  A week ago he was telling me about his automobile troubles and that it was going to cost $5500.  He had $5 in his bank account.  Two days ago, I asked him how things were going with his car.  He gave me a positive report.  Solutions had been found and it would cost a lot less than originally thought.  Lou had found a “CAN DO” way.

I went to college to become a music major.  Well and good – except I didn’t know a lot about music.  I knew drums and drumming, but I didn’t know much about music. 

They immediately put me into a music theory class.  Music theory?  What the heck!  Well, this was my chosen track and I needed to find a way to survive. 

Along with music theory, I was taking a music fundamentals class, and I was getting extra tutorial help from my sister-in-law Barbara.

Everything I learned from Barbara and the music fundamentals class I immediately put to use in the music theory class.  It was a slow and painful process, and with time I improved my skills, learned to read music and became proficient in reading any musical score you might place in front of me.  It all started with a “CAN DO” attitude.

Was it scary?  Oh my, yes. 
Did I get discouraged at times?  Oh yeah.

And I survived. 

We survive those moments as we are making the turn from “can’t do” to “CAN DO.”

It’s not hocus pocus.  It’s not pop psychology.  It’s not voodoo magic. 

It is simply “I CAN” thinking.  It works.

Really and truly.



Words of Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment