Sunday, April 19, 2015

The Next Two or Three Feet

When I started blogging in 2009, I could not have told you then that tonight I would write this blog.  Honestly, I didn't know for how long I could sustain my first blog site – Up-Words Morning Notes.  Six years later I now have four blog sites, and continually find material for them on an on-going basis.  

Even now, I rarely know what will come out of my computer at the beginning of a writing session.  Somehow the ideas gel, the words flow and the blog is written.

This is a great summation of what I want to say today.


Often, on the waters of the Puget Sound in Seattle, we see cargo ships headed out to their next destination.  Perhaps it is Hong Kong, Moscow, San Francisco, Dubai or any of hundreds of other ports in this world.  For 99% of the journey these vessels can’t see their port of call, yet they make it, one foot at a time.

Anne Lamott says this about that:  “You don’t have to see where you are going; you don’t have to see your destination or everything you will pass along the way.  You just have to see two or three feet ahead of you.  This is right up there with the best advice on writing, or life, I have ever read.”

Thank you Anne.  You are spot on.

Where are you going?

What is your diagnosis?

What is your game plan?

You’ll get there, one step, one foot at a time.  Just follow your agenda, your compass, your doctor, your road map or whatever metaphor or guiding system you choose.

Enough said.



P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment