Monday, February 3, 2014

The Lost Leadership Principle

When we walk into any bookstore and look at the leadership shelf we see a plethora of books telling us everything we need to know to be a great leader.

Except for this …

The Lost Leadership Principle is this:

“Believe in people before they prove themselves.”

There are seeds just below the surface in the team around you.  What can you see?  Can you see those possibilities?  Can you hand off a project to an untried person and let them prove themselves?

Look what happens when we do.  We motivate them to reach their potential.  We build self-confidence in them.  We encourage them to grow in new and better directions.  We inspire them.

When I was still a wanna-be manager my friend Bob gave me a huge opportunity.  I walked into the arena eager to start, shaking knees and all.  I was as yet an unproven operator.  And Bob esteemed me.  He saw the potential that I could become.  I wasn’t there yet, but I was on my way to becoming a leader.  He just gave me a free pass on the highway and gave me gentle nudges.

I’ve never forgotten.  Often, I reflect back to Bob and the team around me in those days with remembered fondness.  His confidence in me gave me confidence in myself.

See the chain of events.  Bob started the dance.  I just stepped up and followed his example, learned, grew, and became the leader/manager he expected.

P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment