Monday, July 31, 2017

The Badge of Greatness

The badge of “GREAT” is huge, unless we bestow it upon ourselves.  I am good at a few things.  I am better at a few others, and I want to be GREAT at a few more.

~I want to be known as a great writer.
~I desire to become a great speaker.
~I embrace the idea of becoming a great encourager.

But to declare those things for myself?  That is more than I should do.

In the grand scheme of things, greatness is earned.  It is earned by repetitive acts, moments of stellar and consistent activity strung together in a well-lived life.  Some have greatness thrust upon them, and they do indeed earn that title after all.  Winston Churchill was one.  He became great in his hour in the sun because he earned it.  He used his skills at hand and put his hand to the task.  And along came greatness.

Presidents come and go.  Some are revered as great, but usually after the fact.  Sometimes we don’t see exactly how great one was until after they are no longer around. 

There is a huge difference between talent and greatness.  This quote tells all.
Talent is given. 
Greatness is earned

I’m a talented drummer.  In the grand scheme of things, I’m not a great drummer, compared to the truly ‘great’.  I could add more comparisons; however, you are smart and get the picture here.

And what is the road to greatness?

~Diligence in applying your hand to the task every day.
~Persistence
~Focus
~Commitment
~Pertinacity (stick-to-it-iveness)
~Willingness to pay the price (whatever that means)

And at all costs, avoid labeling yourself as Mr. GREAT – MS. GREAT.

You may indeed be worthy of such a title.  Please allow us the distinct privilege to name you as such.



P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment