Monday, March 10, 2014

An After-Thought

A story – a lesson

On a rainy and dreary Sunday night a man I know was walking to his automobile after having eaten his fill at a nearby restaurant.  A shabbily dressed man approached him across the parking lot.

“Hey mister.  I ain't gonna cause you no harm.  I just got out of prison and I wondered if you could give me some money so’s I could go to McDonalds and buy somethin’ to eat?

My friend responded.  “I’m sorry.  I don’t have any cash on me at all.”

The man responded.  “That’s okay.  I figured you for a good guy anyway.  No harm in askin’.”  And he walked away.

My friend got into his car, started the engine and had an after-thought.

He drove to where the man was walking down the sidewalk, rolled down his window and said, “Hey friend.  I’ll meet you over at the McDonald's and buy you something to eat. Okay?”

“Yes sir.  That’s mighty kind of you.  Yes sir.”

And that is what happened.  My friend met this street person at McDonald's and told him to order anything he wanted.  Seven dollars and sixty-two cents later the homeless man had his evening meal and my friend went on his way.

It was a random act of grace.  It cost $7.62 – not a lot, but enough. 

It met a need.  It fed a hungry man for one night.

It was an afterthought.

Sometimes, an after-thought can be a good thing.
  
P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment