Friday, November 30, 2012

Talent Vs. Persistence



Talented people impress me.  When I see evidence of raw talent I want to stand up and cheer.  I think of all of the potential that individual has at his/her fingertips and wonder what he/she might become.

But alas, talent fades away and others can pass you by if all you do is rely on your simple raw talent. 

How sad. 

John C. Maxwell once said … “I realized early on in life that I could coast along and do some pretty amazing things because of some innate giftedness.” 

Thankfully our story does not end there.  John went on to say that he realized the folly of that mindset and then set about becoming an on-purpose and intentional young man, and the world is better for that awareness.

You see, raw talent doesn’t keep its sharp edge without practice and persistence. 

Note this:

“If I miss one day of practice, I notice it.  If I miss two days, the critics notice it.  If I miss three days, the audience notices it.” 
Ignacy Paderewski

Even the greats practice and that is what keeps them great.  If you start resting on your past successes, the world will soon catch up with you and pass you by. 

The persistence of practice and honing your craft is everything. 

Love this Steve Martin comment from Born Standing Up:  A Comic’s Life.

“Thankfully, persistence is a great 

substitute for talent.” 



P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time

P.S. Beginning Monday, Dec. 3 I'll start posting Christmas blogs.  I have a lot of new ones for this year and am anxious to share them.  A different one will post on each of my blog sites.  I'll post every Monday and Friday.  

Thank you for  being a loyal reader.  Almost every week I pick up a new country of readers - this week it has been Malta and Hong Kong.  


No comments:

Post a Comment