Saturday, July 19, 2014

Know Yourself

The axiom know thyself is by now a well-known and well-understood phrase.  Yet it is one in which we return to often.  It was a red letter day for me when I discovered the skill set for which I am amply suited to use. 

One of the freeing concepts in life is when we discover our areas of strengths. 

You will never see me on a ballet stage. 
And I highly doubt you’ll ever see me playing professional basketball. 

You will occasionally catch me behind a set of drums, or singing and speaking on a platform to a room full of interested individuals, and I surely hope that some fine day that you and I will greet one another across a book-signing table for the launching of one of my best sellers. 

You see, I have a firm grasp on who I am and what I am.  My interests match my skills and all of that flows together to give direction and destiny to my life.

And you? 

What is your destiny?  What is your passion?  Where is your north star leading you?

It all begins with knowing self.

This story nicely sums up our thoughts for today.

One of my favorite books is The Winds of War by Herman Wouk.  In this book, Mr. Wouk recounts a scene in which General E. J. Tillet, military author and one of the Commanding Generals for England during WWII, is speaking to the main character named Pug Henry.  Tillet is making an observation about Hermann Goering.

He said:  “He’s wasted a whole bloody month bombing harbors and pottering about after convoys.  He’s only got till September the fifteenth.  His mission is mastery of the air, not blockade.  Define your mission!  Define your mission and stick to it!” 

Know yourself.
Define your mission!



P Michael Biggs
Up-Words
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment