Monday, May 2, 2016

How I Got My Creativity Back

In order to tell my story, I have to use the personal pronoun a bit.  Thanks for understanding.

I’ve been blogging for 6 ½ years now.  Creativity is a huge card that I play or attempt to play time and again, for I write six blogs each week. 

My schedule is as follows: 
Early morning – do a social media promo for each blog
Before bed – do an extended social media promo for each blog

Monday        – write It’s All about People
Tuesday        – write The Almost a Minute
Wednesday  – write Steps and Skips
Thursday      – write Morning Notes
Saturday       – write Internet Church
Sunday          – write A Time for Rhyme

This is a grueling schedule, and I hold down a full-time job as a banker.  Needless to say, I need to fuel my creativity; therefore books are a huge part of my life as well.  So, I work into my nightly schedule some reading time.

Sometimes I get stale in my writing, and even lose my way. 

Carolyn and I just returned from a 12-day vacation to London.  I gave myself permission – YES – GAVE permission to not write or post or even check my readership numbers for 12 days.  I went into this time away as truly a vacation from writing.  I felt I needed to give my creativity a break.  That felt risky.  I had just recently reached a new plateau in readership clicks and I feared I would lose that momentum and some of that audience.

The creative miracle happened.  I eased back into things and have found a new vibrancy to my writing.  I regained my focus for Morning Notes particularly, and my poems have taken on a new and creative life of their own.  And my numbers are back in the ranges they were before the break.

Vacations work.  THEY WORK!

Really and truly – take your time away.  In October we will go away again for 10 days or so.  I intend to follow a similar path then as well.

You are the boss.  Take a break when you want.

And now, resume your normal and busy life.


P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment