Monday, April 21, 2014

A Word about Creativity

In a copy-cat world where we try and imitate and emulate iconic role models, I cast my vote for creativity.  I vote for uniqueness.

I vote for the creative spark that is inside each of us.  When I cook, I loosely follow the recipe.  I’m cooking chicken enchiladas tonight.  I have a vague idea of what I’m going to do and have bought all my ingredients and I’m going to do a bit of experimenting.  Carolyn is open to this so here we go.  We’ll know in two hours if I was successful or not.  By the way, I’m not using any recipe at all.

In the early days of my writing I had to learn how to create my own voice so I borrowed from others.  I borrowed that idea from Daniel Coyle in The Little Book of Talent.  He suggests that is perfectly acceptable to steal from others until you can make it with your own flair.  He quotes Pablo Picasso in this:  “Good artists borrow.  Great artists steal.”

And Daniel continues:  “Look at every single performer better than you and see what they've got that you can use.  Then make it your own.”

When we create we let go of comparison.  We don’t care if others compare us to some lesser or greater talent.  What we care about is creating something that we call our own. 

We cultivate creativity. 

CULTIVATE CREATIVITY!  I rather like that.

Borrow till it becomes your own. 

Then create –create – create!


P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment