Thursday, February 9, 2012


Prepare for Challenges
Seven Characteristics of Unstoppable People
Part 4 in a Seven-Part Series
Based on the book Unstoppable by Cynthia Kersey


Life happens.  We plan, we prepare, we dream, we move in the direction of our goals, and BAM, along comes a challenge. 

Big or small, challenges happen. 

Our topic this week is preparing for challenges. 

How does one prepare for challenges?

Maury Wills, famous short stop and base stealer for the Brooklyn Dodgers, was not The Maury Wills in his early days.  He couldn’t hit, he was afraid of the curve ball and these challenges kept him in the minor leagues for over eight years. 

He realized that his dreams of playing in the big league were destined for failure unless he addressed his challenges and overcame them.  And that’s what he did.  He sought help from coaches, he put in extra practice time and he became a world-class player.  He faced his challenges and conquered them.


Wilma Rudolph was nothing but a wanna-be small black girl wearing braces in the late forties.  She saw other girls running and jumping and she longed to join them in these fun times.  Yet she wore heavy, cumbersome braces on her legs.

Against her Mother’s orders, she began taking her braces off around the house and learned to walk as best as she could.  Soon she was walking and running with ease.

In time she tried out for sports and was noticed for her quick speed in running Before long she was invited to train for the Tennessee Tiger Bells track team.  In 1956 she got her bid for the Summer Olympics.  Even though she won a bronze medal, she vowed that she would do better next time.

When the 1960 Olympics came along, Wilma found herself standing on the winner’s podium in Rome and received three gold medals.

She faced challenge after challenge and overcame them.

Wow!  What a concept - overcoming challenges.

Remember Apollo 13 and its mission to the moon?  That was one of the most problem-plagued space missions NASA has ever faced, yet they overcome every challenge and successfully brought home those three astronauts. 


How does one prepare for a challenge?

You analyze, you plan for contingencies, and you find ways around, over and through the mountains you face. 

And in the case of Apollo 13, you use the materials at hand to accomplish what needs to be accomplished.  You really do need to watch the movie again to see what I mean. 

I am experiencing this in my own life at the moment.  My medical reports are not as good as I desire.  My high blood pressure and high blood sugar numbers need to be brought under control.

I am determined to live a more quality life and for me this means several things

--First, I now make exercise a prominent part of my day. 
--Second, I monitor my numbers so that I know every day, morning and night where I am and where I need to be.
--Third, I am proactive in evaluating every bite of food that I consume. 

Is it working?  You better believe it is.  My goal is to be off all meds and lead a healthy and long life.  I want my blood sugar numbers below 100 and my blood pressure at 120/80, 

I have a challenge and I’m meeting it head on. 

What is your challenge?  What are you doing about it?

Challenges can be managed and overcome.

Go, meet your challenge.  Be an overcomer.

No comments:

Post a Comment