Thursday, December 26, 2013

V = View

(Our premise is this:  If plan A fails you still have twenty-five other options.)

When we consider any topic, any topic, it is amazing to me how many opinions surface on the subject.  Everyone has a viewpoint.  And so do you.

The only opinion that matters, however, is one’s own, especially in the realm of personal life goals and the march toward achieving our goals and dreams.

How we view ourselves matters more than how we are viewed from the outside looking in.  Do we hold lofty views of ourselves?  Do we see self from an accurate perspective? 

And especially, in our discussion of what to do after a failure, how do we view our life and the ashes of our dreams? 

That view is the critical one.  Can we still see images and reflections of that once worthy dream?  Can we find shards lurking in the ashes of our crash-and-burn dream? 

Perhaps a failure can serve to sharpen our focus.  Perhaps it can bring into clearer view the way things should have been.  And in the viewing and examining we just may discover corrective measures to try “next time”. 

The most important thing – THE MOST – is to never lose our vision – our view.  I love to relate this story for all that it teaches.  Let’s visit it once again. 

A few years ago I had the privilege of meeting Dr. David LaShana, former chancellor of three successful institutions of higher learning.  During our visit I had the chance to ask him about a time when he called on J.C. Penney.  I want to pass this story along to you.

While Dr. LaShana was President of Taylor University in Fort Wayne, Indiana he scheduled an appointment with J. C. Penney, the founder of the chain of stores that bear his name.  When he entered Mr. Penney’s office, he found Mr. Penney sitting behind his desk holding Dr. LaShana’s business card and moving it back and forth as if to bring it into better focus. 

Mr. Penney looked up at Dr. LaShana, cleared his throat and said, “You’ll have to forgive me.  I’m losing my vision.” 

Mr. Penney stopped abruptly, slammed his hand down on his desk and said in a raised voice, “No, that’s not right.  I’m losing my eyesight. I’ll never lose my vision!”

It is all about view – perspective. 

The overwhelming question is this one:  “What am I learning from my experience?”

P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment