Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Can You See It?


Can You See It?


There is a lot of talk and writing these days on the subject of visualization – movies of the mind.  What a concept!

Denis Waitley, speaker, author and psychologist, has told many stories of his experiences when he was on the sports medicine team for the Olympic committee in the eighties.  He related that when an athlete would mentally rehearse their event in his/her mind, the brain would send signals to the muscles and the synapses would fire as if the athlete was actually performing their event.  They saw their event first on the movie of their mind, and then they performed it, just like running a script.

Jack Nicklaus once said, “I never hit a golf shot without having a sharp picture of it in my mind.”  He used the visualization technique on every shot. 

Where do I want to ball to land? 
         Picture the trajectory. 

What does my swing look like? 
                       Picture that perfect swing every time.

When we can picture the picture perfectly, sooner than one might think we are able to see it in real time.  Just like in drill.

John Assaraf, one of the featured personalities in The Secret, tells about creating a vision board with his dream home pictured on it.  Five years later, while unpacking some boxes after moving into a new home, he realized he was now living in that very home that he had pictured both in his mind and on his vision boards. 

There is power in broadcasting the movies of the mind. 

I have a physician friend who practices surgical procedures in his mind the night before an important surgery.  He imagines holding the implements he will use, and the exact steps he will follow for a successful surgery. 

My wife once worked for Dr. David Le Shana when he as President of Seattle Pacific University.  During one of our visits David verified the following story for me.

When he was President of Taylor University, he had the privilege of calling on J.C. Penney, founder of the stores that bear his name.

When Dr. Le Shana was ushered into Mr. Penney’s office, he found Mr. Penney sitting at his desk looking at Dr. Le Shana’s business card.  He was moving it back and forth attempting to bring it into better focus. 

As Dr. Le Shana approached, Mr. Penney looked up and said, “You’ll have to excuse me.  I’m losing my vision.”

He slammed his hand down on the desk and stated emphatically.


“No, that’s not right.  I’m losing my eyesight.  I’ll never lose my vision.”





That’s the heart of what we’re talking about.  Never Lose Your Vision. 

Can you see clearly?



P Michael Biggs
Hope in Sight
One Word at a Time

No comments:

Post a Comment