Monday, March 12, 2018

Who Do You Copy


Who Do You Copy

In a world that craves originality, I never get far from the knowledge that copying and mimicking are an essential part of life.

That is how we learn originality.  We pretend until we actually make something worthwhile.

If I were to name those I mimic in writing it would be, Seth Godin, Brennan Manning, Max Lucado, Og Mandino, my college friend Harold Ivan Smith, Poet Mary Oliver and a handful of others. 

I keep books around me at all times.  In odd moments of the day I may dip into one or two, and read almost every night before dropping off to sleep.  I want to saturate my mind with the words and style of the “greats” that I admire.

And so, I read, and sometimes borrow, or steal an idea or two.  Now days, I do try and remember to give credit when possible.  I learn by copying.



Even the Beatles started as a cover band.  Paul McCartney said, “I emulated Buddy Holly, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis.  We all did.”

My best advice … copy till you make it your own.



P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement
Inspiration

No comments:

Post a Comment