Wednesday, February 28, 2018

We Start Softly


We Start Softly

I knew a young lady in my Toastmaster’s group, when giving her first speech, stood at the front and never uttered a single word for a full 7 minutes.  She just stood there, so full of fear, all she could do was smile, which soon after turned into tears.  We were able to watch her go from that quiet beginning to becoming club president, and area governor for Toastmasters and a fine speaker in her own right.

But she never said a word in her first attempt.

We were all surprised that she came back to the next meeting, but she did.  After some great coaching from her mentor, Paula started making speeches.  Sure, she fumbled and faltered a few times, but she learned.  Her voice grew stronger, and we witnessed a transformation.

I’m teaching my grandson how to play drums.  He’s not ready to join his local rock band but he is making progress.  He’s not necessarily a soft player; he just is learning.  Same thing. 

We learn, don’t we. 

We take baby steps.  We show up.  As Brene Brown says, “we get wet.”  She used those words in a story about her daughter and a swim team event.

When I look at my first blogs, I’m not very proud.  But I had to start somewhere.  I even wondered if I’d have enough material to sustain me for one month. 

Nine years later I’m writing four to five posts every week, and the ideas keep flowing.

We start softly, we start with fear and trepidation, we begin easy … and look at what we become.

We are becommers.

I like that!



P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment