Monday, November 28, 2016

Not Always in a Box

I love this quote:


Some of us spend a lot of time choosing and wrapping our Christmas gifts for others.  Some do, I do not, but that’s not important here.

Three years ago Carolyn and I were headed to our special dinner together on Christmas Eve.  We passed a man who appeared down on his luck so to speak.  I gave him five bucks.  It was no big deal to me, but who knows what it did for him.  He uttered a halting “Merry Christmas”, we went to dinner and that was that.  It was not a fancy boxed gift we gave.  It was five bucks. 

But perhaps we brought a small measure of Christmas to that nameless man. 

I love watching my step-children parent their kids.  They correct as needed, but they give so much more.  They give esteeming words and principles, they give the gift of listening to their kid’s worries, their hurts and the things that matter to them at whatever ages they happen to be.  Those listening ears and wise hearts didn’t come in a box.

Carolyn gives me the gift of plenty of writing time.  She often laments that I’m going to be interrupted by our schedule on the weekends.  I cannot tell you the warm feelings and validation I feel when my wife honors this writing part of my life.  It is a gift not found in a box, but a great gift nevertheless.

When we give gifts of love and esteem, validation and recognition, gifts of hope and words of encouragement, we give something far more valuable than any wrapped present imaginable.  And these gifts that are out of the box have a shelf-life that far exceeds any other. 

Maya Angelou says it this way:  
"I’ll never forget how you made me feel.”

Now that is a gift we can all give, every day. 
  

Words of Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment