Monday, March 7, 2016

Surprise Yourself

A quote: 

“I hope, sometime soon, 
you surprise yourself.”
~Neil Gaiman – an abridgment of his quote 
“I hope, somewhere in the next year …”

What a magnificent thought … to surprise yourself.

Some of us are so routine bound and so predictable that you could set a musical score to our tempo in life.

What if you surprised yourself?  What if you did something so out of character and out of the box that you surprised yourself and all who know you? 

Now wouldn’t that be something?

I came close to this when I started writing poetry.  Now keep in mind the objective of my poems – light, humorous, nonsensical.  If you remember these descriptors when you read my poems you’ll perhaps find delight too, and maybe you’ll laugh at some of the turns you discover.  You may even laugh out loud.  Now that would be a hoot? Click here for A Time for Rhyme

I won’t even ask the question “so how are you going to surprise yourself?” That just might spoil the surprise, after all.

Above all, do it.
Get silly.
Get ridiculous.
Get funky.
Get down, and then get back up again.
Do the unheard of.
Do the “I never thought I could do that” thing.
Go somewhere you never thought of and find a few surprises along the way.

Get the picture?

Go therefore and surprise yourself.  You have permission.


P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment