Monday, November 23, 2015

Show Up and Be Seen

You have too much good in you to allow your spark of creativity to be hidden.  This post is meant purely to push you out into the light so that you can become visible for once in your life.  And maybe more than once.  Now wouldn’t that be something?

Sooner or later you must show up and be seen. 

Brene Brown is having a huge impact on us in these days.  I love her vulnerability prayer.


In another passage from her book Daring Greatly, Brene tells a story of her daughter attending a swim meet that she really didn’t want to participate in. 

Brene’s words to Ellen were:

“Just get wet!”

And Ellen did just that.  She didn’t win that day, except in the most profound ways of all.  She showed up.  She got wet.  She entered the water.

Sometimes effort is enough and it speaks volumes.

When we show up we are becoming vulnerable.  We are putting it out there for all to see.  And we survive the experience. 

A personal story:  I often felt vulnerable in the early days of blogging.  Every time before pressing “PUBLISH” I felt a moment of fear.  I suddenly didn’t want to be seen.  I would rather have gone and hidden than press publish.

But I pressed it.  I showed up.  I became visible.  And it got easier.  Now, it happens automatically.  
   I write
         I edit 
            I “PUBLISH”

It was not easy, but it was necessary.

Another story:  Before I published my first book I was nothing but a wanna-be author.  The act of publishing my first book was a tremendous boost to my self-esteem and my core feelings about myself.  You see, I had talked of being a writer for thirty years, but I kept cancelling the “show up” part. 

And after releasing my book, the feeling of accomplishment was unlike anything I’ve ever experienced.  It was a euphoria and a self-satisfaction that was indescribable. 

You’ll never fully appreciate what I am speaking of until you take a chance on YOU and show up and allow yourself to be seen.

Otherwise you’ll simply remain as a wanna-be, and that would be a great waste of your talent, now wouldn’t it?

Come on out.  I’ll stand beside you, hold your hand if you like, and whisper some encouraging words into your ear.

Words like
     ~You can do this.
          ~You are worthy of this honor.
               ~You deserve to be seen.

Be Seen!


P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment