Saturday, January 31, 2015

Good at What We Don't Know

My favorite business writer, Seth Godin, gives us the fodder for today’s thought. 



Can you imagine the Boeing Company skipping out on a particular aerodynamic problem that might cause the jumbo 747 to crash?  What if they say, “Oh heck, it’s too hard to make that work, after all, only 47% of those planes crash"?No big deal.”

I’m watching the U.S. Figure Skating championship right now.  What if the top skater on this program has been having a problem with spins and landings?  What if she said, “I can’t do that”?  Is it really important?  Maybe the judges will like my costume and overlook those falls and less graceful moments.”

In my banking career, I’m constantly bumping up against knowledge that is not completely in my grasp yet.  What if I said, “Wire transfers?  Who needs them?  I’ll just fake it.”  If that were the case, I’d cost my clients a lot of money and lose my job, all for lack of and fear of what I don’t know.

Seth ends the quote above with this:



It occurs to me that we should pursue the hard stuff, the unanswered questions, and the less than perfect skills. 

We want to be good at what we don’t know.  And one fine day we’ll be great and in demand.


P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment