Friday, December 13, 2013

U = Understand

Understanding is the entry point for living.  Knowledge, training, observing, and all other skills are of little use until we understand.  With understanding, we then act on the knowledge, training, etc.

Understanding self is at the front of this list of essential ingredients.  Self-knowledge requires that we ask some very tough questions.

Who am I?
What am I?
What is my best moment?
What is my worst moment?

Am I a leader?
Am I trustworthy?
Do I believe in myself?
Am I willing to do what it takes to succeed?

What extra knowledge do I need?
Who are my role models?
Who is my mentor?

Am I teachable?
What is my personality type?


These self-reflective questions guide us in some vital self-discovery steps.  They become the road signs along the way to keep us on track.

Perhaps we need the wise words of others to help us gain more understanding.


“Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart.  Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.”
~C.G. Jung

“Find out who you are and do it on purpose.”
~Dolly Parton

“It takes courage … to endure the sharp pains of self-discovery rather than choose to take the dull pain of unconsciousness that would last the rest of our lives.”
~Marianne Williamson


“The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change.”
~Carl R. Rogers


“If you don’t go after what you want; you could spend your entire life settling for what you can get.”
~Mo Stegall

I shall end with this.

Plato often quoted the following phrase and attributed it to Socrates, who attributed it to “long established wisdom.”  Nevertheless, it stands as the ultimate maxim for self-understanding. 

“Know thyself.”


P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time


No comments:

Post a Comment