Monday, January 21, 2013

The Teacher



Allow me to borrow a line from the movie The Emperor’s Club starring Kevin Kline, who plays the role of a teacher at an all-boys school.  As the character Mr. Hundert, he is given a plaque that contains this phrase.

His life goes over into other lives.

Teachers come in all sizes, varieties and genders.  Teachers teach, whether they are university professors or parents, TV personalities or T-ball coaches.  Teachers influence, and sometimes that influence lasts a lifetime.

So, what are we teaching?  We are being watched.  In every encounter other eyes are watching.  What do they see?

Recently, we were having breakfast with Eliot and Adia – two of our grand-kids.  As is my habit I picked up two packets of sweetener and added them to my morning coffee.  I always shake the packets so that the contents will settle more to the bottom and not spill out when I tear the top off.

Eliot, age three, picked up two packets of sugar and shook them just as he had seen me do.  I became the teacher and he the student. 

What else am I teaching him?

Good question for all of us?

We teach.  They watch.


P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time

No comments:

Post a Comment