Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Shame vs. Guilt


Based on Daring Greatly
by Brene Brown


We need to focus on a couple of psychological terms for a moment – Shame and Guilt.

Shame says “I am bad.”
Guilt says “I did something bad.”

See the difference?  We beat ourselves up with a shame mindset.

Brene says this:  “I define shame as the intensely painful feeling or experience of believing that we are flawed and therefore unworthy of love and belonging

“I don't believe shame is helpful or productive. In fact, I think shame is much more likely to be the source of destructive, hurtful behavior than the solution or cure. I think the fear of disconnection can make us dangerous.


I really want to help you understand this important distinction if you are one who suffers at the hands of shame. 

It is the rare individual who never does anything bad.  However, doing something bad and being bad are two completely different issues. 

See the difference?

Brene continues:
 “Shame is the swamp land of the soul.  Shame is the gremlin who says
‘You are not good enough.’
‘I know things that happened to you growing up.’”


Silence the gremlin.  Stop the shame.  Hold onto a loftier image of YOU.  You may have done something bad, but you are not bad.

Take a step toward believing in you!
 

P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time

No comments:

Post a Comment