Friday, October 19, 2012

Somebody's Got to Do Something




I have a new friend.  Her name is Polly.  Polly is one of the many street people in Seattle.  She doesn't have a lot of money.  She wears hand-me-down clothes, and she sells a newspaper on the streets of Seattle to earn a bit of money. 

But she has other goals too.  I bought a newspaper from her last week, and that is when I found out her name.  As I handed over my buck, we entered into conversation and she was telling me how this money helps fund some shelters and food for the homeless of Seattle. 

And then she laid the bomb on me.  She said …

“I do this because somebody’s got to do something.”

Wow!

That is about as profound as it gets.

I've given a lot of thought to that conversation with Polly.  Here was a woman with few earthly possessions to her name and every day, on the same spot in front of the same grocery store I see her peddling her newspapers, raising money to feed those less fortunate.

Isn't that amazing? 

Makes me stop and ask – What am I doing?

Am I doing something?

I’m a writer, trying to change my corner of the world and encourage those who read these words.  I have a nice little following, but I wonder if it is enough?  What more can I do?  How can I reach more people?

Polly asks that same question every day – how can I sell more newspapers and raise more money to feed more people?

You are so right Polly ... Somebody has to do something. 

Why do I tell you this story?  Not to guilt you into buying newspapers on street corners. 

But if some of us found a cause, a passion for which we were willing to apply ourselves, then truly we just might do something.  

And in the doing, we might affect some lives, clothe some people, warm some lonely souls, encourage those who are discouraged.

I am amazed at what the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation does.  They are finding ways do something.

William Booth, founder of the Salvation Army found a way to do something.

Seattle’s Union Gospel Mission has found a way to do something.

Many fine religious institutions have as well.

I often see drivers stop at a traffic light and reach out their hand offering something tangible to one in need. 

These individuals and groups are “doing something.”

God bless them.

May God bless all of us with eyes to see that we can “Do Something.”


P Michael Biggs
Offering Hope
Encouragement Inspiration
One Word at a Time

No comments:

Post a Comment