Thursday, October 20, 2011

Sapere Vedere


One of my treasured books for the past two years is Kevin Hall’s Aspire.   In this book Kevin introduces us to this wonderful word – Sapere Vedere (sah-PARE-ay veh-DARE-ay).

Sapere Vedere is knowing how to see.  Another way of saying this is “seeing beyond the clouds.”  What a useful skill that would be.

A part of this word’s meaning lies in the whole concept of “believing is seeing.

I love the plaque on my wall next to my desk.  It says: 





As Kevin says, “People with sapere vedere say ‘I’ll see that bridge before I cross it.’”

We people people are in great need of the essence of sapere vedere.  We see with our eyes, but vision is a function of one’s heart.

Vision expands the limitations of our eyes.  I love this line from Kevin.  “Never let your eyes determine what you heart believes”.

Think of it this way:
“Wisdom is knowing what we saw.
          “Vision is knowing what we see.
                    “Sapere vedere is knowing how to see.”

What shall you become one day?  Only your vision can tell you.


This thought kind of adds new light to Henry David Thoreau’s great comment.


No comments:

Post a Comment