Thursday, July 14, 2011

What People Want Most

Every person, everywhere, seeks a few basic things in every human interaction.  I seek these things.  My wife wants these.  My grandchildren do.  Everyone I know seeks these essentials when it comes to every human interaction on earth.

1.     Hear what I say.  Listen to my words, notice my body stance.  Consider my feelings.  Hear me out without jumping to conclusions or second guessing me.  Don’t finish my sentences for me, for you may misinterpret what I am saying.  Listen with your whole being.  Then I will give you the proper attention and focus on what you have to say in response to me.
2.   
            Validate me.  Every person alive wants to be validated.  Validate means to deem worthy.  Every person you meet wants and needs to feel they are a person of worth in your eyes.  Give them what they want the most in the world.

3.     Look at me.  Don’t look over my shoulder.  Don’t look at your cell phone.  Don’t look at the clock on the wall.  Look at me.  I am here, now, and I need some attention.
4. 
     Remember my name and use it.  That is a highly regarded people skill that people love.  It is impressive when others remember your name.  That means you are valued.
5.    
     Respond in a timely manner when you commit to respond.  Enough said. 

6.     Always tell me the truth.  Will your product do what you claim?  Will I have a better life?  Are there down sides to what you are promoting?  Tell me what is important for the moment we are in conversation.

This blog is called “It’s All about People.”  It really is AAP. 

Have an enjoyable weekend and a better week!


No comments:

Post a Comment