Thursday, June 23, 2011

Hitting Home Runs


We love home run hitters.  They are in every profession, every enterprise in the world.  And they are in every home.

Home run hitters are heroes.  They are the stars.  Yet a pretty great baseball batting average is .300 – 3 hits out of 10 times at bat. 

Baseball great Babe Ruth was once asked what he thought about after he struck out.  "I think about hitting home runs," the Babe answered.  Babe was the home run king.  He was also the strikeout king. 

Yet he is known for his homeruns.  I like that. 

What Babe is focusing on in the above quote is this:  Sure, I struck out, but next time around, or in tomorrow night’s game I’m thinking a big home run is in order. 

Can we wrap our minds around this mindset?  It’s not that we are perfect.  We don’t win in every human interaction, and we don’t make every sale.  We don’t always discipline our kid’s right, and our key relationships sometimes have strife.  The key is our attitude toward “next time.” 

Next time I’ll say some more appropriate things.
Next time I’ll prepare more, listen more, and offer more benefits to my customer.
Next time I’ll do it better than ever before. 

And we can.  I can see myself doing any given task just a little bit better than the last time.  Can you? 

The secret – “If we can see it, we can achieve it.”  It’s the age old adage given by Earl Nightingale, Napoleon Hill, Og Mandino and a thousand other success gurus. 

Fix in your mind the end result you want and you increases your chances of actually seeing that fact come to pass. 

Babe Ruth struck out more times than he hit home runs, but Babe Ruth is Mr. Home Run King!

What can you see? 

No comments:

Post a Comment