Monday, April 19, 2010

Be Present. Be In the Moment.

Don’t you love it when someone with whom you are engaged in conversation actually listens and looks at you? When I leave someone like that I am thinking “I like that person. They have great manners. They made me feel important.” The art of “being present” when engaged in conversation with someone is one of the key people skills that sets you apart from the rest of the field.  Your customers require it, your friends merit it, and you show good people skills when you demonstrate this trait.

Be Present by Listening
I developed the habit a long time ago that whenever someone entered my office I would stop whatever I was doing, turn to face them directly and give them my undivided attention. If I was typing on my computer, I would remove my hands from the keyboard. If I was reading, I would put down my reading material so that I might concentrate fully on them and what they had to say. I wanted them to feel important. I wanted to be present with them for this moment in time.

Attention shows respect, and respect is a great way to make someone feel important. If you call me on the phone, and it is convenient for me to take your call, I will stop typing, reading, or working, and tune in to our conversation. I owe you that kind of respect and attention. After all, you ARE important.

Be in the Moment
In retail, there is a rule called “Floor Awareness” in which every sales person is supposed to become aware of the floor at all times and note when a new customer comes into the store. The objective is to make sure that every person is given proper attention. If I am with a customer and another customer enters the store, I will make sure I stay tuned into the first customer and whatever they may be saying, and at a convenient pause in the conversation I’ll excuse myself with clear reasoning as to what I’m about to do with a word of assurance that I’ll be right back.

Use Appropriate Eye Contact
I remember meeting Congressman Chet Edwards when I was living in Waco, Texas. We had a brief two-minute conversation after an event at which he spoke. Even though there were dozens of other well-wishers awaiting their turn to speak to him, Congressman Edwards never took his eyes off me. He stayed completely tuned into our conversation. I have always remembered his focus and attention. He stayed present in our conversation and he never looked over his shoulder to see the next person with whom he was to speak. What a great role model.

Always remember, there is a human being at the other end of your transaction, and that human being wants one thing only from you. They want to be made “to feel important”.

Remember, every person you meet is wearing an invisible sign around their neck that says, “MAKE ME FEEL IMPORTANT.” (Mary Kay Ash, People Management)

No comments:

Post a Comment